National Grid
Payment Assistance What if I can't pay my bill?
We offer payment arrangements to residential customers with past due balances, however this service is not currently available online. To establish a payment plan on your account, please contact our Credit Department at 1-888-211-1313. A representative will work with you to establish a plan to address the overdue balance on your account.

Good Neighbor Energy Fund
This fund is a state-wide fund managed by The Salvation Army. The Good Neighbor Energy Fund helps customers who may not qualify for other means of assistance pay their electric bill. For more information, visit the Good Neighbor Energy Fund* website or call the Salvation Army (if you live in Eastern Massachusetts at 1-800-334-3047 or if you live in Western Massachusetts at 1-800-262-1320).

Read the 2010-2011 newsletter—The Massachusetts Good Neighbor Energy Fund (pdf)

Mass Save
Mass Save helps eligible Massachusetts customers with fuel assistance, energy discounts and efficiency services. For more information, visit* or call 1-866-537-7267.

More Assistance
Fuel Assistance, also known as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), can provide financial assistance to income eligible applicants. To learn more, visit Fuel Assistance (LIHEAP): An Overview*.

To find the agency in charge of the fuel assistance program in your area, visit the City Town Listing Page* on the Commonwealth Of Massachusetts Department Of Housing And Community Development's website.

Third Party Notification
If you have a friend or relative who occasionally neglects bills, we can help you help them with our Third Party Notification program. Any customer can designate a relative, trusted friend or agency to be a caregiver and receive copies of notices should the account become overdue. The caregiver is in no way responsible for bill payment, but can alert the customer if there is a problem. This service provides helpful protection during times of extended absences from home or during illness. To sign up for this service, fill out the Third Party Notification form (pdf) or call us at 1-800-375-7413.

Arrears Management Program (AMP)
National Grid's Arrears Management Program provides financial assistance to eligible low-income customers with active accounts that have outstanding bills in arrears. Under the AMP program, eligible low-income customers may qualify for forgiveness of past due bills. Program participants receive credits to their past due account once all program requirements have been met. (Some restrictions may apply.) For more information, read our AMP brochure.

Fuel Assistance
This federally funded program is for low-income households in need of assistance in paying energy bills and who meet income eligibility requirements (applications are accepted starting each November). It is not a welfare program or a loan.You do not have to pay back any money granted.
To qualify for a Fuel Assistance grant you must:
  • Pay utility bills directly or have your heat included in your rent (apartment or house)
  • Have household income that falls within the Fuel Assistance guidelines (see below)

Income Guidelines for the 2011-2012 Heating Season  
To qualify, your income must be no greater than the limit listed below for your family size:

Number of Household
Monthly Income
30 Days
Annual Income
365 Days
1 $1,790 $21,780
2 $2,418 $29,420
3 $3,046 $37,060
4 $3,674 $44,700
5 $4,302 $52,340
6 $4,930 $59,980
7 $5,558 $67,620
8 $6,186 $75,260

Payments are subject to available funds. Call your local Community Action Agency for more information.

Here is a list of agencies that serve our customers with Fuel Assistance:

Belknap-Merrimack Counties

Open year-round 8:30 4:30

Evening hours by appointment only
82 Elkins Street, Franklin 603-934-3444
121 Belmont Road, Laconia 603-524-5512
147 Main Street, Meredith 603-279-4096
15 Glass Street, Suncook 603-485-7824
49 Main Street, Warner 603-456-2207

Rockingham County

Open year-round 8:30 4:30

7 Junkins Avenue, Portsmouth 603-436-3896
287 Lawrence Road, Salem; (also for Derry) 1-800-939-9172 or 603- 893-9172
Appointments and Information 800-639-3896

Hillsborough County

Open year-round 8:30 4:30

Evening hours by appointment only

160 Silver Street, Manchester 800-322-1073; 603-647-4470
134 Allds Street, Nashua 877-211-0723; 603-889-3440
46 Concord Street, Peterborough 877-757-7048; 603-924-2243

(The River Center)

Temporary Outreach Offices

By appointment only
Tuesdays and Thursdays
39 Nashua Street, Library Annex, Milford 603-673-0756
Falls, 56 Main Street, Greenville 603-878-3364
Mondays and Fridays
4 Church Street, Hillsboro 603-464-5835

You may also contact the Peterborough office Monday through Friday for appointments at temporary offices.

*Please note that by using this link, you will be leaving our website. Please review our Privacy Policy for more information.

Links noted by "(pdf)" are in PDF format and support Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and later. Download Adobe Reader, free software to view and print PDF files.

Related Information

You may be eligible for a discount on your electric bill—visit Low Income

Financial Hardship Form (pdf)
Elderly Protection Shut Off Form (pdf)