All customers are charged for the electricity or natural gas we deliver, whether that energy is purchased from National Grid or another supplier.
These charges are based on rates or prices approved by the
State of Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission.
You can review our rate descriptions and pricing schedules by visiting Service Rates
Here are definitions for some of the terms you may see in your bill.
- Customer ChargeThe cost of providing customer related services such as metering, meter reading and billing. These fixed costs are unaffected by the actual amount of electricity you use.
- Distribution ChargeThe cost of delivering electricity from the beginning of the Company’s distribution system to your home or business.
- Transmission ChargeThe cost of delivering electricity from the generation company to the beginning of the Company’s distribution system.
- Transition ChargeCompany payments to its wholesale supplier for terminating its wholesale arrangements.
- LIHEAP Enhancement ChargeThis monthly charge is billed to all customers as required by Rhode Island law. The amounts collected through this charge will be used to provide funding for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program ("LIHEAP") Enhancement Plan, created to supplement the Federal LIHEAP funding being received by customers of Rhode Island electric and natural gas distribution companies. The LIHEAP assists low-income households primarily in meeting their home energy needs. The charge will not be more than $10 per year for each electric or natural gas service account. The charge is subject to change on an annual basis after review and approval by the Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission.
- Energy Efficiency ChargeThe cost of demand side management programs offered by the Company.