National Grid
Payment Assistance Low Income and Special Needs Programs
Need help paying your bill? Learn about our services for payment assistance.

Bill Extender Plan
If you receive a fixed monthly income and your monthly check arrives after your bill"s due date, you may be eligible to have 10 extra days to pay your service bill. Call us at 1-800-443-1837 to see if you qualify.

Care & Share Energy Fund
Our signature charity helps individuals and families who are not qualified for government energy assistance, or who have exhausted all other energy assistance benefits.

Consumer Advocates Team
National Grid’s Consumer Advocates are here to assist customers experiencing financial hardship by providing customized case management services, energy education, advocacy and outreach.

Consumer Appeals Team (pdf)
National Grid’s Consumer Appeals Team is available to assist our customers who are experiencing financial hardship and who are unable to come to an acceptable resolution with Collection Services.

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
This is a federally funded program to assist income-eligible families in paying their energy bills.

Hospital and Customer Assistance Plan
This plan allows customers who are temporarily disabled, due to hospitalization, to extend payment of their bill 30 days from the day it is due. Contact us at 1-800-443-1837 to work out alternative arrangements.

Payment Agreement
The Payment Agreement is for eligible customers who have fallen behind on their payments and cannot pay the bill in full. If you owe a past-due balance and are unable to pay the entire amount, call us at 1-800-443-1837 weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. or Saturdays, 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. We will be happy to discuss your situation with you and try to find a way to help.

Third Party Notification
If you have a friend or relative who occasionally neglects bills, we can help you help them with our Third Party Notification program. Any customer can designate a relative, trusted friend or agency to be a caregiver and receive copies of notices should the account become overdue. The caregiver is in no way responsible for bill payment, but can alert the customer if there is a problem. This service provides helpful protection during times of extended absences from home or during illness. To sign up for this service, fill out the Third Party Notification form on our Billing and Payment Options brochure (pdf) or call us at 1-800-642-4272.

Residential Rights & Responsibilities (pdf)
New York State Public Service Commission (PSC) rules and the Home Energy Fair Practices Act (HEFPA) provide comprehensive protection for residential customers of gas and electric utilities. HEFPA requires that consumer protections be provided by both National Grid and non-utility energy service providers (ESCOs).

These programs are designed to help households with limited income reduce energy use and costs by improving their homes’ energy efficiency. For more information, please visit*

Winter Hardship
Collection practices are modified, as required by each state regulator, to provide additional protection to low income and at risk customers.

Fuel Assistance
This federally funded program is for low-income households in need of assistance in paying energy bills and who meet income eligibility requirements (applications are accepted starting each November). It is not a welfare program or a loan.You do not have to pay back any money granted.
To qualify for a Fuel Assistance grant you must:
  • • Pay utility bills directly or have your heat included in your rent (apartment or house)
  • • Have household income that falls within the Fuel Assistance guidelines (see below)

Income Guidelines for the 2011-2012 Heating Season  
To qualify, your income must be no greater than the limit listed below for your family size:

Number of Household
Monthly Income
30 Days
Annual Income
365 Days
1 $1,790 $21,780
2 $2,418 $29,420
3 $3,046 $37,060
4 $3,674 $44,700
5 $4,302 $52,340
6 $4,930 $59,980
7 $5,558 $67,620
8 $6,186 $75,260

Payments are subject to available funds. Call your local Community Action Agency for more information.

Here is a list of agencies that serve our customers with Fuel Assistance:

Belknap-Merrimack Counties

Open year-round 8:30 – 4:30

Evening hours by appointment only
82 Elkins Street, Franklin 603-934-3444
121 Belmont Road, Laconia 603-524-5512
147 Main Street, Meredith 603-279-4096
15 Glass Street, Suncook 603-485-7824
49 Main Street, Warner 603-456-2207

Rockingham County

Open year-round 8:30 – 4:30

7 Junkins Avenue, Portsmouth 603-436-3896
287 Lawrence Road, Salem; (also for Derry) 1-800-939-9172 or 603- 893-9172
Appointments and Information 800-639-3896

Hillsborough County

Open year-round 8:30 – 4:30

Evening hours by appointment only

160 Silver Street, Manchester 800-322-1073; 603-647-4470
134 Allds Street, Nashua 877-211-0723; 603-889-3440
46 Concord Street, Peterborough 877-757-7048; 603-924-2243

(The River Center)

Temporary Outreach Offices

By appointment only
Tuesdays and Thursdays
39 Nashua Street, Library Annex, Milford 603-673-0756
Falls, 56 Main Street, Greenville 603-878-3364
Mondays and Fridays
4 Church Street, Hillsboro 603-464-5835

You may also contact the Peterborough office Monday through Friday for appointments at temporary offices.
* Please note that by using this link, you will be leaving our website. Please review our Privacy Policy for more information.

Links noted by "(pdf)" are in PDF format and support Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and later. Download Adobe Reader, free software to view and print PDF files.