Before a Storm
Staying storm-ready year-round helps keep you safe if a storm knocks out your power. Making a Storm Kit can help you be prepared. Include the following:
- Extra blankets and firewood.
- A supply of drinking water, along with canned and dried foodand a manual can opener. If you have a baby, keep some ready-to-use formula on hand.
- Extra medication, first aid supplies and essential baby items.
- Working flashlights and a battery-operated radio. Be sure to stock extra batteries.
Keep a corded (traditional analog) telephone or cell phone available. Cordless phones don't work if the power goes out.
If you have a generator, please review our Generators
section and make sure you can operate yours safely.
If you depend on electrically operated life-sustaining medical devices, make sure that you have notified us by calling
During a Storm
- When an outage occurs, unplug sensitive appliances such as VCRs, TVs, computers, stereos, air conditioners and microwaves to protect them when your service is restored.
- Leave a light switch on to let you know when the power is back on.
For other information, visit the Storm Safety
Links noted by "(pdf)" are in PDF format and support Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and later. Download Adobe Reader, free software to view and print PDF files.