Payment Assistance Programs
Everyone needs a little help sometimes. National Grid has several programs available to income eligible families and customers to help them meet their energy needs.
Monthly Bill Discounts Available
Eligible customers can receive a monthly bill credit through our Energy Affordability Program (EAP). This monthly bill credit is automatic with the receipt of a Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) payment or proof of receipt of other qualifying programs. HEAP applications are accepted in mid-November. You must re-apply annually and quickly before funds run out. To learn about HEAP and how to apply contact us at EAPLI@nationalgrid.com or call 1-718-403-2216.
Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) – typically available November – March
This federally funded program helps income eligible households pay their home heating bills. It is not a loan and you do not have to pay it back.
There are two parts to HEAP:
- Regular HEAP - qualifications are based on household size and income
- Emergency HEAP - qualifications are based on household size and income
AND customers must have a utility shut off notice
Customers who receive SNAP (Food Stamps) may be automatically signed up for Regular HEAP; to receive an Emergency HEAP benefit, you must apply.
Please bring the following information with you when you apply for HEAP:
- Current National Grid (or other fuel bill)
- Valid Social Security Number
- Final Disconnection Notice or other shut-off notice (if applying for E HEAP)
- Recent pay stub for the most recent (4) weeks or other proof of your household’s total gross income (filed federal tax return, including all applicable schedules if self-employed or receiving rental income), Interest/Bank/Dividend or Tax statement.
- Proof of Residence (water, sewer or tax bill, copy of lease with address, mortgage payment book, current rent receipt showing your name and address or statement from Landlord)
- Documents identifying each household member (Driver’s license, photo id, US Passport or Naturalization certificate, school records, or birth certificates and validated social security card)
To replace a lost NYS birth certificate visit New York Vital Records
- Proof of qualified alien status if you are not a US citizen
Project Warmth. The Warmth You Need Is Just a Phone Call Away
A community-based partnership between National Grid, local businesses, and not-for-profit agencies, Project Warmth helps Long Island families suffering from recent financial hardships. They will help those who qualify to meet their home heating needs, regardless of fuel type. For a referral to a Project Warmth, call 2-1-1 (or 1-888-774-7633) for United Way of Long Island’s Information and Referral call center or visit www.211longisland.org.
For more information about HEAP, visit the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance; New York State myBenefits, or call the HEAP hotline at 1-800-342-3009. You can also contact your local Department of Social Services.
Assistance offered by New York State, through local Departments of Social Services, help qualified residents facing emergency situations.
For more information about Temporary Assistance, visit the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, New York State myBenefits, or contact your local Department of Social Services.
Medical Emergency Protection Program
If you or a member of your household has a serious illness or injury (as certified by a medical professional), and your utility service is at risk, we can offer protection from disconnect. For more information please call 1-718-643-4050.
Our Consumer Advocates assist and provide protections to National Grid’s most vulnerable customers. We specialize in assisting those struggling with their home energy bills by aligning them with available programs and services offered by National Grid and local agency partners. Call 1-800-930-5003 to connect with your local Consumer Advocate.
Home Energy Affordability Team (HEAT)
National Grid’s energy efficiency program provides free home energy assessments and other energy efficiency services for income eligible customers. Eligibility will be determined at the time of application. Please contact us by telephone at 1-844-375-HEAT (4328) or by email at NGridLIHEAT@clearesult.com