We're not sure if this is right. If you confirm where you use our services most, we can tailor our site to your needs. Note: If you've told us more than once your browser could be blocking cookies.
Click to learn more about cookies
This has been a year like no other, and the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic are still being felt across our service area. If you are facing financial hardship and are concerned about paying your energy bill, we can help with a personalized payment plan. Learn more at ngrid.com/paymentassistance or call us at 1-800-930-5003.
Reminder: Schedule your meter safety inspection.
If you receive a notice in the mail that it’s time for your gas meter to be inspected, please respond right away to schedule a convenient appointment. These no-cost inspections make sure all gas services are working properly
We are required by New York State law to periodically inspect natural gas meters and associated piping. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Our crews and contractors are screened for illness daily and will continue to follow safety protocols to keep both them – and you – safe. Please visit ngrid.com/covid-19 for more details.
Every National Grid employee and any contractor doing work for us must carry photo ID. Always ask to see their ID before letting them in your home. If you have doubts, don’t let them in and call us or local law enforcement.
Smell gas. Act fast. And be the one to call.
Use your senses to detect gas leaks, which are often recognized by:
Smell: Natural gas is odorless. A strong odor similar to rotten eggs is added so you can detect it. Under some conditions this odor may fade, so it’s important to use your other senses as well to detect a leak.
Sight: Outdoors, these things may signal a gas leak:
A white cloud, mist or fog
Bubbles in standing water
Sound: You may hear roaring, hissing or whistling.
Be the one to call.
Move everyone, including pets, to a safe area out and then call 1-800-490-0045 or 911. Never assume someone else will call.
Excess flow valve notification.
Customers may request installation of an excess flow valve (EFV), a safety device that slows the flow of natural gas in the event of a service line break.* An EFV is not required for normal operation of your gas line. In fact, you may already have an EFV installed.
*There is a charge for this service. *Certain conditions must exist for this installation.
Installing different kinds of alarms throughout your home can provide added protection for you and your family year-round.
A carbon monoxide (CO) sounds the alarm when this highly poisonous, colorless, odorless gas is present in the air.
A smoke alarm senses smoke, indicating a possible fire.
A residential methane detector signals methane in the air, indicating a gas leak.
Be sure to follow manufacturer’s instructions for proper placement of these alarms and test them frequently.
Carbon monoxide risk increases in winter months.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur at any time of the year and is more common during cold weather as we spend more time in enclosed spaces. Causes could include a malfunctioning heating unit, fuel-burning appliance or a blocked chimney.
Watch for these symptoms.
Shortness of breath
Nausea and dizziness
If your suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, go outside immediately and call 911 or our gas emergency number, 1-800-490-0045.
Carbon monoxide safety tips:
Schedule an annual heating system check up.
Properly maintain and ventilate appliances.
Have your chimney cleaned and checked every year.
Keep all vents clear of brush and snow.
Never heat your home or any building with a gas range.
Do not use a gas or charcoal grill indoors.
Never operate a generator indoors – even with a door or window open.
Use a broom to brush away snow and ice on the meter. Do not chip away at ice buildup.
Clearly mark gas meters that may be near the path of a snow plow.
Oven safety tips every cook should know.
Whether you’ve been making more meals at home lately or plan on some holiday baking, now is a good time to share these oven safety reminders with everyone in your household.
Never use an oven to heat a room.
Keep young children away from the oven while in use.
Use aluminum foil liners with caution because they could trap heat and cause a fire hazard.
If you’re using foil to cover food in the oven, keep it at least 1½ inches from oven walls.
For gas ranges, never cover slots, holes or passages in the oven bottom, as well as oven racks, with aluminum foil. Doing so blocks air flow and may cause carbon monoxide buildup.
Be on the lookout for soot on any part of the oven surface – this could indicate carbon monoxide generation. Contact a qualified repair professional.
Multi-family, apartment or business complex owners please share. This is an important safety notice. Please have it translated. See “select language” link at nationalgridus.com.