Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
Choose a Region

You've landed on a Long Island NY Home Page

We're not sure if this is right. If you confirm where you use our services most, we can tailor our site to your needs.
Note: If you've told us more than once your browser could be blocking cookies. Click to learn more about cookies

Select Your Region

Where can we help you today?

Gas Safety Newsletter - DEC 2018

Service line inspections keep our system safe.

At National Grid our number one priority is safety. New York passed a law requiring us to inspect natural gas meters and associated piping. The no-cost inspections make sure all natural gas services are working properly and safely.

Prior to the start of inspections, if you are a natural gas customer, you will receive notification in the mail. When you receive notification, please follow the instructions to set this vital appointment at a time that is convenient for you.

Our contractors, RECONN (formerly known as Premier) and PPS (Precision Pipeline Solutions), will carry out the inspections.

Excess flow valve information.
  • Customers may request installation of an excess flow valve (EFV), a safety device that slows the flow of natural gas in the event of a service line break*.
  • An EFV is not required for normal operation of your gas line. In fact, you may already have an EFV installed.

*Please note, even if you request installation, certain conditions must exist for installation and there is a charge for this service.

Visit Our Pipeline Safety Efforts page for more information.

Keep meters and vents clear of snow and ice.

Ice and snow buildup around fresh air and appliance exhaust vents may result in equipment malfunction and carbon monoxide buildup. Remove ice and snowbanks regularly. Also identify the location of your meter so it doesn’t get hit during snow removal.

Use your senses to detect a gas emergency.

Gas leaks are often recognized by:

  • SMELL: Natural gas is odorless. A pungent odor similar to rotten eggs is added so you can detect it fast.
  • SIGHT: Outdoors you may see a white cloud, mist, fog and bubbles in standing water. You may see blowing dust and vegetation in the area may appear to be dying.
  • SOUND: You may hear an unusual noise like roaring, hissing or whistling.

What to do next:

  • MOVE your family and pets to a safe area outside, and call 1-800-490-0045 or 911. Never assume someone else will call.

During a suspected leak, do not attempt to close any valves on gas appliances, meters or pipes. You could injure yourself or your family, and it could lead to property damage.

Reminder: All National Grid contractors carry identification cards. If in doubt, ask for ID.

Recognize the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is more common in cold weather. Causes include a malfunctioning heating unit, fuel-burning appliance or a blocked chimney. Protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning by:

  • Having heating appliances checked yearly by a professional
  • Installing UL listed CO detectors in the home
  • Never use gas range for heating
  • Never use generators inside the home or other indoor area

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea and dizziness

Signs an appliance may be producing carbon monoxide:

  • Condensation on walls and windows
  • Sluggish house pets
  • Dying plants
  • Residents feeling tired or suffering from flu-like symptoms
Alarms give added protection. It’s important to note the differences:

Detectors, such as smoke, carbon monoxide and residential methane (RMD), keep you safe. Please follow manufacturer’s instructions for each alarm for installation and proper placement.

  • A smoke alarm senses smoke indicating fire.
  • A carbon monoxide detector sounds an alarm when carbon monoxide is present in the air.
  • An RMD can detect methane in the air indicating a gas leak.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning: GO outside and CALL 1-800-490-0045 or 911

Take the proper precautions this baking season.

The following tips will help you use your gas oven safely:

  • Only operate ovens as intended. Never use to heat a room.
  • Keep young children away from oven while in use.
  • Never cover slots, holes or passages in the oven bottom, as well as oven racks, with aluminum foil. Doing so blocks air flow and may cause carbon monoxide buildup.
  • Use aluminum foil liners with caution because they could trap heat and cause a fire hazard. If a recipe calls for foil, keep it at least 1½ inches from oven walls.
  • Presence of soot on any part of the oven surface could indicate carbon monoxide generation.