Frequently Asked Questions
Massachusetts customers have two separate accounts for their gas and electric service, with two separate logins. Electric accounts require an email address to login, gas account require a username to login. We realize this is a source of some confusion, and we are exploring long-term solutions to unite the accounts, but in the meantime you will need to log into each account separately.
To access your gas bill:
Doublecheck that you are on the correct site by looking for the “Massachusetts Gas” heading in the top left corner of the page. Login from this page with a username and password.
To access your electric bill:
Doublecheck that you are on the correct site by looking for the “Massachusetts Electric” heading in the top left corner of this page. Login from this page with an email address and password.
Note: An access code is only provided to gas customers in Massachusetts and Metro NY (Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island). All other customers are not required to provide an access code when registering online.
There are a few options to locate your access code. Please try one of the following:
- Check under the “Important Messages” section towards the bottom of your paper bill. If your bill runs to the second page, also check under the “Additional Messages” section on the second page
- If you don’t have your paper bill or are enrolled in paperless billing, please follow the instructions below:
- If you are still logged in to your online account, you will need to log out first.
- Visit ngrid.com/myaccount and scroll down to the “View Bills Only” section.
- Select your account location, enter your account number and the last 4 digits of the SSN or Tax ID associated with your gas service account to log in.
- Once you can view your bill, look for the access code under the “Messages” section towards the bottom of the bill. (*Note – You might need to look closely to find it along all the messages.)
- The access code is also provided in the welcome letter sent to you when you first started gas service.
If you still cannot find your access code, please contact our Customer Service team.
An access code is only required from Massachusetts Gas and Metro NY(Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island) Gas customers. If you are neither but are being asked to provide one, you may be on the wrong site. Doublecheck the correct region appears in the top-left corner of the National Grid homepage. If not, click on the “Change Location” link below the region.
If you are a Massachusetts Gas or Metro NY Gas customer and continue to have difficulties locating your access code, please review the above FAQ.
If you are a gas customer:
To reset your password, click the "Forgot your password" link on the Gas Sign In page. You will be asked to provide your User ID and email address, then enter the last 4 digits of your social security, your zip code, and a security question. Click on “Submit” and you will receive an email with your new password.
To reset your user ID, click the "Forgot your user id" link on the Gas Sign In page. You will be asked to provide your e-mail address that you have on your account and you will receive an email with your user ID.
If you are an electric customer:
You are currently on the Massachusetts Gas site, if you want to reset your electric account password or sign-in ID, please switch to the Electric site by clicking on the "Change Location" link on the top of the page.
If you forgot your security question, you will not be able to reset your password. Your existing online account will no longer be accessible. You will need to register for a new online account by visiting the Gas Sign In page and click on the “Register” link to start the new account registration. Please note you will need your account number and access code to add the service account to your new online account.
If you need further assistance, our Customer Service Department is here to help. Please call us at 1-800-233-5325, Monday–Friday, 7:00am to 5:00pm.
For gas leak and gas emergencies, call 1-800-233-5325 or 911 immediately.
For power outages, please report outages online or call 1-800-465-1212.
Emergency support is available 24 hours a day, every day.
There are a number of variables that can cause your energy bill to fluctuate each month. Changes in the season can have an impact on the amount of electricity and gas you use. Another factor could be the operation of your equipment. You can find more information about why my bill may vary and how to gain more control over usage on our site.
If you manage multiple accounts registered under your web profile, you can unlink/remove an account by:
- Sign in with your username and password.
- On the "My Account" webpage, click “Choose Account”
- On the "Choose Accounts" webpage, click on the delete icon under the “Remove” column for the account that you want to remove.
Note: You will no longer have the payment history associated with this account.