Although we’ve automated the meter-reading process for most of our customers, it’s still important to keep your meters unobstructed.
If your meter is outside:
- Be sure to keep your meter’s valve and vent clear of dirt, debris, ice, and snow.
- Do not shovel snow up against the meter or vent pipe.
- Remove icicles from overhead eaves and gutters to ensure that dripping water does not splash and freeze on the meter or vent pipe.
- Be cautious with the placement of landscaping and outdoor structures. During an emergency, having access to your meter can help significantly.
- Be sure your meter is not touching the wall of the building and has at least six inches of clearance below.
If your meter is inside:
- Keep obstructions away from the meter; during an emergency, having easy access to your meter can help significantly.
- Do not hang anything on your gas pipes.