To save up to 20 percent on heating and cooling costs, make sure all ceilings, roofs, exterior walls, and wall cavities are adequately insulated.
If you live in a 1-to-4 unit Rhode Island home, you may be eligible for up to $4,000 off insulation, and air sealing of leaks in drafty areas of your home. Please call 1-888-633-7947 to schedule a no-cost Home Energy Assessment. Your National Grid Energy Specialist will come to your home, complete an attic-to-basement evaluation, and provide a custom home energy report outlining recommended energy efficiency improvements.
Common air leakage points to check and seal:
- Around plumbing, electrical, and duct work in exterior walls.
- Any chases open to spaces like an attic.
- Gaps between interior and exterior walls and ceiling sheetrock.
- Around sheetrock, including between interior and exterior walls and where sheetrock is sealed to the subfloor.
- Openings around windows.
- Floors, including cantilevered floors and band joist areas in floor systems.
- Kneewalls in Cape-style homes.
- Joints between existing buildings and additions or modular buildings.
- Adding a reflective roof coating can also help improve energy efficiency.