Top 20 Tips
Start lowering your energy bills now with these tips.
- Replace a minimum of five incandescent lights with ENERGY STAR® light bulbs for a typical savings of $9 a month.
- Turn off lights, appliances, TVs, stereos, and computers when not in use, and save approximately $9 a month.
- If you have a large television (greater than 32”), turn it off when not watching, and save $8 a month.
- Unplug your electric space heater or hot tub and save $41 a month.
- Recycle your second, older refrigerator and you can save $23 a month.
- Washing your clothes in cold water can save you $9 per month.
- Repair leaky faucets and save $6 per month.
- Unplug electronics with remote control or “instant on” features and save $4 a month. An advanced power strip will do the work for you.
- If you have an electric clothes dryer, clean the filter and straighten the exhaust hose/duct to save $3 a month.
- When buying new appliances, always choose ENERGY STAR® and save $11-$24 a month for the life of the appliance.
- If you have a natural gas furnace, tune it up to save $9 a month, or replace your older furnace with one that is 90 percent or more efficient, for a savings of $30 a month.
- Install a programmable thermostat that lowers the setting at night and when no one is home, and save $15 a month.
- Caulk and weather-strip around windows and doors to keep warm air indoors and save $13 a month.
- Dry only full loads of laundry and save $7 a month.
- Lower your water heater setting to 120° F and save $9 a month.
- Use a low-flow showerhead to save 8,212 gallons of water and up to $246 a year.
- Did you know your dishwasher has an energy-saver switch? Turn it on to use less water and lower your water heating bills.
- Choose an energy-efficient hot water tank and save $6 a month.
- Insulate walls, ceilings, and windows and save $16 a month.
- Choose energy-efficient windows and save $28 a month.
Savings will vary significantly from home to home. Data based on 500 kWh monthly residential usage at 15 cents per kWh per month.