We know you depend on National Grid to make your home warm, your drinks cold and your lights shine. Not some of the time or most of the time, but all the time. It’s a responsibility we take very seriously. And we also take responsibility to advance a cleaner energy future, which is why we’re investing our resources into renewable energy, including solar and wind. Learn more below about how National Grid is serving its communities responsibly today and for tomorrow.
Towards a Cleaner Energy Future
National Grid will play a leading role in enabling and accelerating a clean, fair, and affordable energy future, while continuing to invest in developing technologies and innovations that benefit our customers and wider society. Across our US business, we have initiatives to drive energy efficiency, advance renewable energy, explore the future of heat and invest in the energy technologies of tomorrow.
- Smarter Grid: We are modernizing our system to meet future demands and connect customers to renewable energy to help us toward a future of an integrated energy system that reduces our carbon footprint.
- Advances in Heating: We show our commitment to advancing from traditional heating sources to more innovative heating technologies including cogeneration, gas demand response, geothermal technology, and studies on the use of hydrogen blending to help decarbonize the natural gas system.
- National Grid Renewables: We recently launched National Grid Renewables, part of our competitive National Grid Ventures unit, which focuses on developing, owning, and operating large-scale renewable energy projects across the U.S., from wind and solar to battery storage.
- National Grid Partners: In 2018, we established National Grid Partners (NGP), the utility industry’s first Silicon Valley-based venture capital and innovation firm. Through NGP, we have already committed to $300 million of investment in emerging technology companies, which is being allocated towards defining a smarter, more renewable energy future.
Serving Our Customers and Communities Responsibly Today
Our focus is to make investments on behalf of our customers to create safer, more reliable, and resilient energy systems. At the same time, we strive to deliver affordable, sustainable, and cleaner energy solutions for our customers. Every day, our employees are focused on building a smarter energy grid, enhancing storm resiliency, promoting economic growth, preparing for the next generation of clean energy, and further improving safety, reliability, affordability, and customer service. Some of the many ways we make a difference where we serve, work and live include:
- Economic Development: Our Economic Development programs are designed to support local businesses and boost economic activity across our region.
- Energy efficiency: To help customers lower their bills and ensure a clean energy future, we offer various energy savings programs to help them save energy and manage usage.
- Community sponsorships and employee volunteerism: We partner with charity organizations, foster employee volunteering, and provide communities with grants that support social, economic and environmental development.
- Workforce development: We are committed to developing the next generation of engineers and energy company workers.
- Energy affordability programs: For our most vulnerable customers, we help income-eligible residential customers with options to manage their energy bills.