Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
Choose a Region

You've landed on a Metro NY Business Page

We're not sure if this is right. If you confirm where you use our services most, we can tailor our site to your needs.
Note: If you've told us more than once your browser could be blocking cookies. Click to learn more about cookies

Select Your Region

Where can we help you today?

Payment Assistance Programs

Everyone needs a little help sometimes. National Grid has several programs available to income eligible families and customers to help them meet their energy needs.

Monthly Bill Discounts Available
Eligible customers can receive a monthly bill credit through our Energy Affordability Program (EAP). This monthly bill credit is automatic with the receipt of a Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) payment or proof of receipt of other qualifying programs. HEAP applications are accepted in mid-November. You must re-apply annually and quickly before funds run out. To learn about HEAP and how to apply contact us at or call 1-718-403-2216.

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) – typically available November – March
This federally funded program helps income eligible households pay their home heating bills.  It is not a loan and you do not have to pay it back.

There are two parts to HEAP:

  • Regular HEAP - qualifications are based on household size and income
  • Emergency HEAP - qualifications are based on household size and income 

AND customers must have a utility shut off notice

Customers who receive SNAP (Food Stamps) may be automatically signed up for Regular HEAP; to receive an Emergency HEAP benefit you must apply. 

Please bring the following information with you when you apply for HEAP:

  • Current National Grid (or other fuel bill)
  • Valid Social Security Number
  • Final Disconnection Notice or other shut-off notice (if applying for E HEAP)
  • Recent pay stub for the most recent (4) weeks or other proof of your household’s total gross income (filed federal tax return, including all applicable schedules if self-employed or receiving rental income), Interest/Bank/Dividend or Tax statement.
  • Proof of Residence (water, sewer or tax bill, copy of lease with address, mortgage payment book, current rent receipt showing your name and address or statement from Landlord)
  • Documents identifying each household member (Driver’s license, photo id, US Passport or Naturalization certificate, school records, or birth certificates and validated social security card)
  • Proof of qualified alien status if you are not a US citizen
       To replace a lost NYS birth certificate visit New York Vital Records

For more information about HEAP, visit NYC Human Resource Administration (HRA) - Energy Assistance or New York State myBenefits.  For information you can also call the New York City HEAP Hotline at 1-800-692-0557.  If you do not have computer access contact the New York City Human Resources Administration. To find the nearest office, visit NYC HRA office location as they will assist you in qualifying for heating assistance.

If you do not have computer access, contact the New York City Human Resources Administration. To find the nearest office, visit this link: NYC HRA office location, as they will assist you in qualifying for heating assistance. For information you can also call the New York City HEAP Hotline at 1-800-692-0557.

Neighborhood Heating Fund
A National Grid program administered by HeartShare Human Services of NY that helps qualified households meet their home heating needs. To qualify for a $200 grant, you must be a National Grid customer whose household meets the income guidelines of the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). Customers may apply once per year when they have exhausted all HEAP assistance. For more information on how to apply, please see HeartShare Human Services website.

Emergency/Temporary Assistance
Assistance offered by NYC Human Resource Administration (HRA) to help qualified residents facing emergency situations.

For more information about Emergency/Temporary Assistance, visit NYC Human Resource Administration (HRA) - Cash Assistance website, New York State myBenefits, or your nearest NYC HRA office location.

Star Customer Program – Protections for Seniors and People with Disabilities
If you are a National Grid customer age 62 or over, or have a disability, you are eligible to be a Star Customer. When you become a Star Customer you are entitled to special services and protections should an outage or another special need arise. Call 1-718-403-2171 for more information.

Medical Emergency Protection Program
If you or a member of your household has a serious illness or injury (as certified by a medical professional), and your utility service is at risk, we can offer protection from disconnect. For more information please call 1-718-643-4050.

Consumer Advocates
Our Consumer Advocates assist and provide protections to National Grid’s most vulnerable customers.  We specialize in assisting those struggling with their home energy bills by aligning them with available programs and services offered by National Grid and local agency partners.  Call 1-718-643-4050 to connect with your local Consumer Advocate.