Make your smart thermostat even smarter with ConnectedSolutions
Whether you are a homeowner or run a small business, our ConnectedSolutions program works with your thermostat to reduce natural gas use during periods of high energy demand in your community, while ensuring your safety and comfort.
Enroll to earn a $25 instant incentive, and an additional $25 annual incentive* for every thermostat connected to a natural gas boiler or furnace.
*Beginning in the second year of participating in the program, and each subsequent year you are enrolled.
How it Works
On extremely cold days, when the demand for natural gas is at its highest, it is important to conserve energy. Reducing energy at these times reduces energy costs. By shifting your energy use for a couple of hours during these times you can help lower the demand on our system, save money and ensure you and your communities are safe and comfortable.
ConnectedSolutions has made it easy for you to conserve energy during these peak times and will reward you for your participation. After you enroll your qualified, wi-fi connected thermostat, National Grid will automatically send a signal to your thermostat to preheat your home or small business before the event times and then temporarily decrease the temperature by a couple of degrees for the duration of the peak event. After the event has passed, your thermostat will automatically go back to your preferred temperature.
Here is some information on when peak events may occur:
- November-March on days when temperatures drop well below average
- 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. or 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- There are typically 2 – 5 peak events every winter.
- You can opt out of a peak event anytime by changing your thermostat setting.
You can opt out of most or even all peak events; however, we may unenroll you from the program for the following year if the program is not a good fit for you.
To be eligible, you must be a National Grid New York residential or small business gas customer located in Brooklyn, Queens, or Long Island and use natural gas as the primary source of heat in your home or business.
The thermostats supported by this program are:
- Sensi (Emerson)
- Honeywell (including Lyric)
- Radio Thermostat
Frequently Asked Questions
A natural gas heating system is a furnace or boiler that provides heating for the entirety (or at least the majority) of a home or small business.
Unfortunately, you are not eligible* for ConnectedSolutions if you don't have a natural gas heating system. Explore our website for other ways you can save energy.
* To be eligible, you must be a National Grid New York small business or residential natural gas customer located in Long Island, Brooklyn or Queens and have natural gas heating system connected to a qualified wi-fi enabled thermostat. Staten Island customers are currently not eligible for this program.
Get more benefits
- A Wi-Fi thermostat can save up to $180 on your energy costs, year after year.
- Get a $75 rebate on a new smart thermostat
- Receive an instant $25 incentive for signing up for ConnectedSolutions plus another annual incentive every additional year you stay in the program.
- Reduce the load on the gas grid during peak time