Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
Choose a Region

Welcome to our RI Business site.

We're not sure if this is right. If you confirm where you use our services most, we can tailor our site to your needs.
Note: If you've told us more than once your browser could be blocking cookies. Click to learn more about cookies

Select Your Region

Where can we help you today?

Assistance and Incentives for Owners

National Grid’s expert technical staff support owners from the beginning with advice for design team selection.

This includes support with RFQ procurement requirements, setting energy use intensity (EUI) targets for projects, and design review and energy modeling review at all stages.  Owner support extends through all stages of design such that the Energy Use Intensity goals set by the owner are met.

Incentives for owners can help limit financial risk. A per-square-foot incentive lets owners know what they will receive before the project is completed and assistance with renewables integration and low-interest financing ensure the project will perform as intended. National Grid’s Zero Net Energy Buildings Pilot Program provides:

  • Property owners up to $2.75 per square foot for a maximum of $130,000 for projects between 20,000 and 50,000 square feet. Projects over 50,000 square feet can receive up to $500,000.
  • Incentives are based on a minimum threshold performance of 30% above the current code, achieving set EUI goals, and the project’s ability to demonstrate that it is ZNE-ready.
  • Up to 70% of project incentives paid after post inspection and documentation verification with the remaining 30% to be paid at after one year of monitoring and verification of ZNE-ready status.
  • Assistance with finance options for energy efficiency and renewables for the project is provided through Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) and third-party finance sources.
  • Support with distributed generation interconnection of the renewable energy net-metering capacity to the power grid.

Note: Zero net energy ready projects that are not able to add renewables on-site but achieve Energy Use Intensity (EUI) targets, set on a case-by-case basis by the design team, owner and utility, are also eligible to participate in the program.