Proper preparation will help your business weather any storm.
If a storm is approaching your area, ensure the safety of your employees and protect your property by taking these precautions:
- Secure your building.
- Cover windows.
- Cover and move equipment/furniture to a secured area.
- If dependent on data processing, consider an alternate site.
- Make provisions for alternate communications and power.
- Be prepared to work with limited supplies of cash, and be without water, sewer or power for at least two weeks. Store emergency supplies at the office.
- Employee safety comes first! Prepare, distribute and exercise your business hurricane plan for recovery.
- Consider providing shelter to employees and their families and helping with supplies post-storm.
- Establish a rendezvous point and time for employees in case communications are disrupted.
- Establish a call-down procedure for warning and post-storm communications.
- Provide photo IDs and a letter of authorization to enter the building.
- Contact customers and suppliers:
- Share your communications and recovery plan in advance.
- Prepare a list of vendors to provide disaster recovery services.