To save up to 20 percent on heating and cooling costs, make sure all ceilings, roofs, exterior walls, and wall cavities are adequately insulated. Common air leakage points to check and seal:
- Around plumbing, electrical, and duct work in exterior walls.
- Any chases open to spaces like an attic.
- Gaps between interior and exterior walls and ceiling sheetrock.
- Around sheetrock, including between interior and exterior walls and where sheetrock is sealed to the subfloor.
- Openings around windows.
- Floors, including cantilevered floors and band joist areas in floor systems.
- Kneewalls in Cape-style homes.
- Joints between existing buildings and additions or modular buildings.
- Adding a reflective roof coating can also help improve energy efficiency.