NATIONAL GRID ANNOUNCES 2019 COMMUNITY INITIATIVE PARTICIPANTSMar 12, 2019
Concord, Newburyport, Somerville and Webster to implement community energy efficiency outreach
CONTACT: Media Relations – 781-907-3980
WALTHAM, Mass. – National Grid today announced that Concord, Newburyport, Somerville and Webster will participate in its 2019 Community Initiative and will benefit from funding and support to implement energy efficiency outreach in their communities.
National Grid’s Community Initiative provides incentive grants of up to $40,000 to Massachusetts communities that meet the program’s goals for implementing energy efficiency outreach in their residential communities and achieving exceptional energy savings through energy assessments and residential energy efficiency measures. (These incentives are in addition to energy efficiency incentives already available to residents.) Grants are awarded based on the progress towards goals achieved by the end of the year.
"We’re happy to continue the Community Initiative this year to help promote, and demonstrate on a local level, how small changes can help reduce the amount of energy used in a home,” said Marcy Reed, President, Massachusetts and EVP U.S. Policy and Social Impact, National Grid. “If residents implement these measures, not only will their community win the award, but each measure promoted by our initiative can add up to cost savings while helping to ensure a sustainable future for our families in the communities where we live and work.”
In addition to assisting communities in identifying individualized goals, National Grid will provide these communities with support throughout the duration of the initiative including:
- Sharing monthly progress reports.
- Conducting monthly calls with municipalities to learn best practices.
- Developing and printing customized outreach materials (brochures, signs).
- Sending campaign materials to customers (email, bill inserts).
- Providing support for local events (materials, staffing where available).
The goals, and potential awards, for the communities participating in the 2019 Community Initiative are as follows:
- 211 completed residential assessments
- 68 completed air sealing jobs
- 75 completed insulation installations
- 81 completed heating system installations
- 51 completed hot water heater installations
- 115 Wi-Fi thermostats incentivized
- For a total potential award of $9,248.00
- 418 completed residential assessments
- 90 completed air sealing jobs
- 104 completed insulation installations
- 140 completed heating system installations
- 55 completed hot water heater installations
- 83 refrigerators/freezers recycled
- 98 Wi-Fi thermostats incentivized
- 74 demand response participants (customers signing up to allow small adjustments to be made to their thermostats on the hottest days of the year to help reduce the region’s peak load)
- For a total potential award of $16,007.00
* This will be Newburyport’s second year of participation.
- 234 completed residential assessments
- 31 completed air sealing jobs
- 54 completed insulation installations
- 94 completed heating system installations
- 24 completed hot water heater installations
- 114 Wi-Fi thermostats incentivized
- For a total potential award of $8,734.00
* This will be Somerville’s third year of participation.
- 276 completed residential assessments
- 71 completed air sealing jobs
- 70 completed insulation installations
- 68 completed heating system installations
- 34 completed hot water heater installations
- 55 refrigerators/freezers recycled
- 24 Wi-Fi thermostats incentivized
- 33 demand response participants
- For a total potential award of $7,811.91
Since 2013, National Grid has awarded more than $600,000 to 24 Massachusetts cities and towns for their energy efficiency efforts as part of the Community Initiative. Each year National Grid recognizes the efforts of these participating communities with its Shining Community Award. For more information on National Grid’s Community Initiative contact Kimberly.firstname.lastname@example.org.
About National Grid
About National Grid: National Grid (NYSE: NGG) is an electricity, natural gas, and clean energy delivery company serving more than 20 million people through our networks in New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. National Grid is transforming our electricity and natural gas networks with smarter, cleaner, and more resilient energy solutions to meet the goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Read more about our innovative projects in “The Clean Energy Promise,” an eBook from National Grid. For more information, please visit our website, follow us on Twitter, watch us on YouTube, friend us on Facebook, and find our photos on Instagram.