For more than forty years, National Grid’s Cinderella economic and community development program has helped to revitalize local communities throughout Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Long Island. Still today, the downstate New York service territory of National Grid includes vacant buildings, urban corridors, and commercial districts that would greatly benefit from the program. Cinderella is designed to assist communities in promoting “smart growth” through the redevelopment of underutilized gas utility infrastructure, to help improve their economic viability, attract new investment, and capitalize on their distinct development potential.
The Cinderella Program provides grants to non-profit development corporations to offset the costs of affordable mixed-use housing and commercial redevelopment
Minimum Program Requirements:
Please review the following program requirements and guidelines carefully. They will help you decide whether you want to apply for this program.
Note: Program assistance is only available to customers located within National Grid’s Downstate New York franchise territory.
To be eligible for this program, the applicant must be:
- An authorized development corporation; or
- A Non-profit organization
- The owner or developer of the eligible site working in partnership with a community development organization
To be eligible for this program, the project must:
- Receive natural gas service from National Grid and incorporate natural gas technologies
- Be located in a central business district, commercial corridor or targeted building, or redevelopment neighborhood
- Show evidence of private sector job creation/retention and capital investment;
- Reside in a building/site that is completely vacant or a new development
- Upon project completion, show evidence of an active National Grid gas account
- Be sustainable and demonstrate use of green building development standards((LEED certified initiatives,) Greening USA’s 12 Traits of Sustainability).
- Demonstrate job creation