Carbon Monoxide | National Grid
Welcome! You've landed on a Upstate NY  page, but we're not sure if this is right. If you confirm where you use our services most, we can tailor our site to your needs.   | Note: If you've told us more than once, your browser may be blocking cookies.   [?]
National Grid
Upstate NY Change Location

Outage Central

As frigid temperatures, ice and snow begin to thaw, rivers, creeks and streams are rising to flood levels in some parts of our area. National Grid crews, as always, are ready to respond to any damage that may result from flooding, and we urge customers to be extremely cautious when dealing with any electricity or gas service that may be at risk. Make sure to stay out of flooded basements or standing water. Energized wiring, outlets and natural gas service below the water line may pose a hazard. If you smell natural gas, contact National Grid as soon as possible at 1-800-892-2345. For ways to stay informed during the storm, visit our Stay Connected page.

Often called “the Silent Killer,” carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas that is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and virtually impossible to recognize without a detector installed. Although carbon monoxide is a normal by-product of fuel burning, malfunctioning appliances or improper ventilation can cause CO to reach dangerous levels in your home.

Protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning by taking these precautions:

  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm. We recommend that the alarm be marked with the “UL” certification (UL 2034) and installed near bedrooms.
  • Contact your local municipality to get CO detector requirements for your area.
  • Have your chimney and fuel-burning appliances checked regularly (annually at a minimum) by a qualified professional.
  • Be sure all space heaters and woodstoves are in good condition and used in strict compliance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Always turn off your car when it’s parked. A vehicle left running inside a garage is the most common cause of carbon monoxide accidents.

Suspect a CO Leak?

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak in your home, go outside immediately and report it at 1-800-892-2345.

Indicators of high levels of carbon monoxide in the home may include:

  • Extremely stuffy, stale air.
  • Water condensation dripping on the inside of windows.
  • Residents exhibiting the symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure: flu-like symptoms such as dizziness, headaches, sleepiness, nausea, fluttering of the heart, and loss of muscle control.

Learn more about poisoning and prevention in our Carbon Monoxide Safety brochure.

Suspect a gas leak?

If you smell natural gas, see a white cloud, mist, fog, or bubbles in standing water, or notice any other signs of a gas leak, report it immediately to our emergency center at 1-800-892-2345 or 911.