Your bill doesn’t have to change with the seasons. Take advantage of our programs and solutions to greater control your energy use and monthly bills, year round.
Plan for higher energy bills this winter as periods of extreme cold have led to increased usage and rates. As of February 1, new gas supply rates will result in an estimated increase of approximately $20, or 12 percent, to the average monthly gas bill. This adjustment was necessary because the demand for natural gas exceeded forecasted amounts during the record breaking January cold. The rates will remain in effect until April.
We can help you plan for increased costs and minimize them where possible. Some quick steps you can take today include:
- Lower your thermostat when you’re asleep or away. A 6-9 degree adjustment can save up to 10 percent.
- Drop the temperature on your water heater. Set it to 120 degrees to save energy and prevent burns.
- Clear areas in front of vents from furniture. Blocked vents require up to 25% more energy to distribute air.
- Seal any air leaks. Caulk and add weather stripping around windows and doors.
- Change the filter on your heating system regularly. A dirty filter will decrease air flow and energy-efficiency.