Pride at National Grid
National Grid is committed to creating a work environment where every member of the LGBTQ+ community and allies are treated fairly and where everyone feels respected, valued, and empowered to reach their full potential.
Our aspiration is to build a business that represents, reflects, and celebrates the live experiences, cultures and communities we serve.
We continue to host celebrations throughout the year that shine a spotlight on important topics around diversity, equity and inclusion and promote much needed conversations towards a more equitable workplace. These include LGBTQ+ History Month, Global Pride Month, International Women’s Day, Black History Month, and Asian American Pacific Islander Month in the US.
National Grid is proud to represent and support our LGBTQ+ team members, customers and stakeholders. We are proud to show up, advocate and celebrate LGBTQ+ equality year-round, through our partnerships and engagement with community advocacy groups. National Grid is a sponsor and partner of various Pride Parades, Marches and festivals in our jurisdictions and our Global Pride Employee Resource Group (ERG) hosts several internal events during Pride Month and throughout the year.
Internally we celebrate Pride year-round by flying Pride Flags across many of our headquarters and office locations, and host engaging, educational and fun events focused on creating a culture of belonging and inclusivity for our LGBTQ+ colleagues.
National Grid was recently crowned a top company of the year at the British Diversity Awards, as well as a top company by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, receiving a score of 100 on the 2022 Corporate Equality Index, and recognized as a 2023 Positive Allies Charter Mark in recognition for our efforts to tackle HIV-related stigma in all its forms. 2022 is the 5th time National Grid has received the HRC accolade – largely a result of the work that the Pride ERG has delivered in the past years. Other awards include a Pride award from the Boston Business Journal and Positive Allies award from Chartermark.
The Equality Act: National Grid continues to be a proud member of the Business Coalition for the Equality Act, pushing for federal legislation that provides equal protection to all LGBTQ+ people across the US.
Organizations we partner with year-round:
- The Center: Empowering LGBT people and building strong community, New York City’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center empowers people to lead healthy, successful lives. The Center celebrates diversity and advocates for justice and opportunity, and offers the LGBTQ communities of NYC advocacy, health and wellness programs; arts, entertainment and cultural events; recovery, parenthood and family support services.
- Out 4 Undergrad: A US based whose mission is to help high-achieving LGBTQ2+ undergraduates reach their full potential.
- Out & Equal: Global organization recognized as the premier organization working exclusively on LGBTQ+ workplace equality. Through O&E’s worldwide programs, Fortune 500 partnerships and the annual Workplace Summit conference, they help LGBTQ+ people thrive and support organizations creating a culture of belonging for all.
- ROMBA: US based non-profit organization tackling the ambition of increasing the influence of the LGBTQ+ community in business by educating, inspiring, and connecting MBA students and alumni.
US Corporate Sponsorships – Parades & Festivals:
Charitable Organizations we are supporting and promoting throughout Pride Month:
- Camp Beyond Binary: A US based LGBTQ+ camp for youth ages 12-18 and staff who embrace the core values of Camp Beyond: justice, empathy, leadership, transformation, and belonging.
- Gender Cool: The GenderCool Project is a youth-led movement bringing positive change to the world. The Champions are helping replace misinformed opinions with positive experiences meeting transgender and non-binary youth who are thriving.
- PFLAG (US): The first and largest US organization representing the LGBTQ+ community. PFLAG is committed to creating a world where diversity is celebrated and all people are respected, valued, and affirmed.
- FFLAG (UK): The UK counterpart to PFLAG and is dedicated to supporting the inclusion and rights of the LGBTQIA+ community. They also act as a communication channel between members and allies of the LGBTQIA+ community.
- AKT (UK): A UK organization which supports LGBTQ+ people aged 16-25 in the UK who face homelessness or living in a hostile environment by getting them into safe homes, employment/education, and getting them into a welcoming and open environment.
The Equality Act
National Grid is a proud member of the Business Coalition for the Equality Act, pushing for federal legislation that provides equal protection to all LGBTQ+ people across the US. Real our response to the House of Representative’s 2021 passage of the Equality Act.
Flag Raising in our Waltham, MA Headquarters
National Grid at Pride Fest 2019
National Grid at World Pride 2019
National Grid at Boston Pride 2018
National Grid at Long Beach Pride 2018