Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
Choose a Region

Welcome to our Upstate NY Home site.

We're not sure if this is right. If you confirm where you use our services most, we can tailor our site to your needs.
Note: If you've told us more than once your browser could be blocking cookies. Click to learn more about cookies

Select Your Region

Where can we help you today?

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Fuel Assistance, also known as the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), is a federal grant program that helps income-eligible Upstate New York residents pay their energy bills. In order to qualify, your household must be at or below New York’s median income levels. Use this eligibility tool to see if you qualify for HEAP.

Household Size Maximum Gross Monthly Income
1 person $3,035
2 people $3,970
3 people $4,904
4 people $5,838
5 people $6,772
6 people $7,706
7 people $7,881
8 people $8,056
9 people $8,231
10 people $8,407
11 people $8,582
12 people $8,890
13 people $9,532
Each additional Add $642

If you need assistance, call 1-800-642-4272 or email to connect with your local Consumer Advocate.


There are two parts to HEAP:

Regular HEAP

Qualifications are based on household size and income (you can view the Household Income Limit above).

Regular HEAP opens November 1, 2023 for the 2023-2024 season.

Apply now

Emergency HEAP

Qualifications are based on household size and income (you can view the Household Income Limit above) AND customers must have a utility shutoff notice.

Emergency HEAP is scheduled to open on January 2, 2024.

To apply, contact your local Department of Social Services (DSS) office. You may also contact your HEAP Local District Contact to apply.

Apply now


Please have access to the following information when you apply for HEAP:

  • Current National Grid bill (or other utility/fuel bill)
  • Valid Social Security number
  • Final disconnection notice or other shutoff notice (if applying for Emergency HEAP)
  • Pay stubs for the most recent four weeks or other proof of your household’s total gross income (filed federal tax return, including all applicable schedules if self-employed or receiving rental income), interest/bank/dividend or tax statement
  • Proof of residence (water, sewer, or tax bill; copy of lease with address; mortgage payment book; current rent receipt showing your name and address; or statement from landlord)
  • Documents identifying each household member (driver’s license, photo ID, U.S. passport or naturalization certificate, school records, or birth certificates and validated Social Security card). To replace a lost New York state birth certificate, please visit New York Vital Records.
  • Proof of qualified alien status if you are not a U.S. citizen

More Information