Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
Fuel Assistance, also known as the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), is a federal grant program that helps income-eligible Upstate New York residents pay their energy bills. In order to qualify, your household must be at or below New York’s median income levels:
|Household Size||Maximum Gross Monthly Income|
|Each additional||Add $642|
There are two parts to HEAP:
Qualifications are based on household size and income (you can view the Household Income Limit above).
Regular HEAP opens November 1, 2023 for the 2023-2024 season.
Qualifications are based on household size and income (you can view the Household Income Limit above) AND customers must have a utility shutoff notice.
Emergency HEAP is scheduled to open on January 2, 2024.
To apply, contact your local Department of Social Services (DSS) office. You may also contact your HEAP Local District Contact to apply.
Please have access to the following information when you apply for HEAP:
- Current National Grid bill (or other utility/fuel bill)
- Valid Social Security number
- Final disconnection notice or other shutoff notice (if applying for Emergency HEAP)
- Pay stubs for the most recent four weeks or other proof of your household’s total gross income (filed federal tax return, including all applicable schedules if self-employed or receiving rental income), interest/bank/dividend or tax statement
- Proof of residence (water, sewer, or tax bill; copy of lease with address; mortgage payment book; current rent receipt showing your name and address; or statement from landlord)
- Documents identifying each household member (driver’s license, photo ID, U.S. passport or naturalization certificate, school records, or birth certificates and validated Social Security card). To replace a lost New York state birth certificate, please visit New York Vital Records.
- Proof of qualified alien status if you are not a U.S. citizen
- New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
- New York State myBenefits
- HEAP hotline: 1-800-342-3009
- Apply online at New York State myBenefits
- Print the application and return it by mail to your local DSS office.