Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
Choose a Region

Welcome to our Upstate NY Home site.

We're not sure if this is right. If you confirm where you use our services most, we can tailor our site to your needs.
Note: If you've told us more than once your browser could be blocking cookies. Click to learn more about cookies

Select Your Region

Where can we help you today?

Grant Programs

Financial Assistance Information and Applications

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

This federally funded program, typically available from November through March, helps income eligible households pay their home heating bills. It is not a loan and you do not have to pay it back. You must reapply annually and quickly before funds run out each winter. The program has been extended until August 31, 2021.

There are two parts to HEAP:

  • Regular HEAP - qualifications are based on household size and income. The 2020-2021 Regular HEAP benefit opens on November 2, 2020.
  • Emergency HEAP - qualifications are based on household size and income AND customers must have a utility shut-off notice. The 2020-2021 Emergency benefit will open on January 4, 2021.

Find Out If You Qualify  Apply Now (Regular HEAP Only)

To apply for Emergency HEAP, customers must call their local Department of Social Services office (DSS).  You may call your HEAP Local District Contact to apply.

2020-2021 Household Income Limit
Household Size Monthly Income
1 $2,610
2 $3,413
3 $4,216
4 $5,019
5 $5,822
6 $6,625
7 $6,775
8 $6,926
9 $7,077
10 $7,227
11 $7,378
12+ +$560/person

Please gather the following information with you when you apply for HEAP:

  • Current National Grid bill (or other utility/fuel bill)
  • Valid Social Security Number
  • Final Disconnection Notice or other shut-off notice (if applying for Emergency HEAP)
  • Recent pay stub for the most recent (4) weeks of pay or other proof of your household’s total gross income (filed federal tax return, including all applicable schedules if self-employed or receiving rental income), Interest/Bank/Dividend or Tax Statement.
  • Proof of Residence (water, sewer, or tax bill; copy of lease with address; mortgage payment book; current rent receipt showing your name and address; or statement from Landlord)
  • Documents identifying each household member (driver’s license, photo ID, US Passport or naturalization certificate, school records, or birth certificates and validated social security card)

    To replace a lost New York State birth certificate, please visit New York Vital Records 

  • Proof of qualified alien status if you are not a US citizen

For more information about HEAP, visit the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance website, New York State myBenefits, or call the HEAP hotline at 1-800-342-3009.

You can apply online at New York State myBenefits or print the application and return it by mail to your local DSS office.

Emergency/Temporary Assistance

If you are income-eligible, Emergency Temporary Assistance may be available from New York State, through local Departments of Social Services. Payment of utility arrears (past due bills) may be available if your utilities are shut-off or are about to be shut-off, or you have a 72-hour disconnect notice.

For more information about Emergency/Temporary Assistance, visit the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance website, New York State myBenefits website, or contact your local Department of Social Services.

Care & Share

This National Grid program administered by HeartShare Human Services of NY helps qualified households meet their home heating needs. The program will open in February 2021. To qualify for a $200 grant, you must be a National Grid customer whose household meets the income guidelines of the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), as listed in the chart above. Customers may apply once per year when they have exhausted all HEAP assistance. For more information on how to apply, call 1-855-852-2736 or visit a participating Care & Share office.