Keeping the service on during financial hardship.
If you rely on electrically operated life-sustaining equipment, have other special medical needs, or are elderly, blind and/or disabled, it is especially important to be prepared for a power outage. Please inform National Grid if any of the following applies to you or members of your household:
- You rely on electrically operated life-sustaining medical equipment and you would require immediate hospitalization if your electric service is interrupted
- You have any other medical need for utility services
- The entire household makeup consists of any combination of the following special needs:
- 62 years of age or older and if anyone else is in the home, they must be 18 years of age or younger
- Visually Impaired (the person has central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with the use of a correcting lens)
- Receiving permanent disability - collecting SSI or SSD, collecting Military benefits due to a service-related disability
If your household may qualify, please fill out our Special Needs form and return it to:
ATTN: Life Support Unit D-1
300 Erie Boulevard West
Syracuse, NY 13202
If you have questions about these programs, please call Customer Center at 1-800-642-4272 (Monday-Friday, 7am-7pm).
Use our Personal Emergency Action Planner to help prepare for a power outage emergency. Although we inform customers about planned power outages and regularly review equipment requirements, restoration does take time. Always call 911 in the case of an emergency.