Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
Choose a Region

You've landed on a Upstate NY Home Page

We're not sure if this is right. If you confirm where you use our services most, we can tailor our site to your needs.
Note: If you've told us more than once your browser could be blocking cookies. Click to learn more about cookies

Select Your Region

Where can we help you today?

Payment Assistance Programs

Everyone needs a little help sometimes. We have several programs to help lower-income families and customers needing special assistance meet their energy needs. You may be required to complete a Financial Statement questionnaire.

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
This federally funded program helps low-income households pay their energy bills. You do not have to pay back any money granted, but you do have to meet household income requirements to be eligible.

Please visit the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance to apply in your area, or visit New York State myBenefits or call the HEAP hotline at 1-800-342-3009. You can also contact your local Department of Social Services.

Hospitalized Customer Assistance Plans
When you’re in the hospital, the last thing you need to worry about is termination of your energy service. This plan is for customers who are temporarily disabled due to hospitalization. We will extend the payment due date on your monthly bill by 30 days during your hospitalization. For more information, call 1-800-642-4272.

Serious Illness/Medical Emergency
If you or a member of your household cannot pay your energy bills due to a serious illness or injury (as certified by a physician), your service will NOT be shut off. For more information, please call the phone number listed on your bill.

Consumer Advocates
Our Consumer Advocates help low-income, payment-challenged, and special needs customers. Find a Consumer Advocate for your area by calling 1-800-642-4272.

Energy Affordability Program – Income Eligible Bill Credit
On January 1, 2018, the Energy Affordability Program (EAP) replaces the Income Basic Service Charge Credit.  No need to apply—the EAP is an automatic enrollment for HEAP grant recipients.  EAP monthly bill credits are based on the customer’s HEAP benefit.  HEAP benefits are structured in a way to ensure that the households with the lowest incomes and the highest energy cost receive the highest benefit. Income, energy cost, family size and the presence of a vulnerable household member, are all taken into account. Learn more and view the benefit tier breakdown.